Posts Tagged ‘macports’

Muxic Beta 2, XMMS2 0.6 Macport

Saturday, June 13th, 2009

I finally got around to updating Muxic to the new xmms2-0.6DrMattDestruction API. There were a few changes to the xmms2 clientlib that needed attention.

While I was doing this, I noticed that the xmms2 CF clientlib isn’t just superficially unusable, but will rev up your CPU something awful if the xmms2d drops its connection after registration of the clientlib CF runloop event source. It needs a shutdown function, and that shutdown function needs some connection-specific CF variables from the init function. Hence we can’t use the API in its current state (unless there’s some way to inject mainloop-specific state into the xmmsc_connection_t that I don’t know about).

I’ve reported it and presented a patch as XMMS2 bug #2232, but essentially it means that the libxmmsclient-cf that currently comes with xmms2 is very bugged.

Update: patch accepted into xmms2-devel.git.

Since macports haven’t updated their port of xmms2, here is my xmms2 @0.6DrMattDestruction portfile. I would have liked to support variants, but whenever I add my own –with-optionals or –with-plugins options to waf configure, the build breaks with link errors. This happens even when I copy the exact list that waf configure automagically selects without arguments. I haven’t figured out why this is, and trying to trace the internals of waf is a bitch.

Anyway, presenting Muxic Beta 2, source code available in the Muxic git repository as usual.

Unclean macports gettext upgrade

Tuesday, March 10th, 2009

An innocent port upgrade -uc outdated turned into macports breakage after it tried to deactivate gettext. The error messages, ad infinitum, are:

--->  Deactivating gettext @0.17_3
Error: Deactivating gettext 0.17_3 failed:
Error: Unable to upgrade port: dyld: Library not loaded:
/opt/local/lib/libintl.8.dylib
  Referenced from: /opt/local/bin/ln
  Reason: image not found
Error: Unable to exec port: dyld: Library not loaded:
/opt/local/lib/libintl.8.dylib
  Referenced from: /opt/local/bin/ln
  Reason: image not found

The reason is that I have the coreutils+with_default_names port installed, and those binaries link to the gettext libraries. The coreutils binaries are used by the macports activation scripts, and the macports coreutils are earlier on the PATH. Cue breakage.

The solution, as explained on macports-users, is:

  • Add a binpath to macports.conf that has the (presumably working) Apple coreutils in /usr/bin and /bin before the macports ones
  • port deactivate coreutils
  • port deactivate gettext
  • port activate gettext
  • port activate coreutils